Friday, March 14, 2008

Nina's Students



I knew that we were going to see a presentation by Nina's students but I had no idea it was going to be such a special night. Nina uses a problem-based approach based on materials from Intel. The program emphasizes problem-solving, group work, data gathering, incorporating technology and communicating findings. The students presented on projects that included 1. How to Get Visitors to Come to Nizhny Novgorod, 2. How to Improve the Local Park, 3. How to Improve the Local Zoo and 4. How to Prevent Traffic-Pedestrian Accidents Especially for Students. The students talked about the process and showed presentations of their results. They often gave English translations, either spoken or written in their presentation. It was very impressive. They made the night special by serving local breads, blinnies(pancakes), chocolate and homemade apple juice. All of the items on the table were labeled with English words. Many students gave me homemade souvenirs or other souvenirs of the area. One very special gift was a booklet with all of their names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses. The students had many questions about North Dakota and are eager to come visit. I will post pictures a little later.

1 comment:

Linda Jenkins said...

Hi Cindy. I just read Darin's post on First Class News that told how to find your blog, so I was able to catch up with you. I read all your comments at once! What an awesome experience! I hope you will bring back some information on how they educate students with disabilities in Russia. And I hope you are now fully recovered and stay well.
Linda Jenkins