Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Today's Forum

Today was an exciting day as three hundred teachers came to the lyceum for a forum (conference). I was asked to speak to the group earlier than planned and I had hoped to connect by Skype to Darin. Well, it was five minutes before starting time and I hadn't even been able to test the connection. I was about to give up hope when low and behold there he was. The connection worked beautifully, very clear, and the sound was perfect. Thank you , Darin - I do believe in this picture he had just said that his eyes were a little red as it was in the middle of the night there.

The rest of the presentation lasted for fifteen minutes after the connection and all went well after a worried start. I was sure to stay in the time limit as I didn't want to get the forum off schedule. We then listened to three presentations given by university faculty members. The third presenter talked a lot about Web 2.0 tools.


We met the other teachers in this area from the  LTMS program for lunch. It was fun to see people that I had not seen in almost two years. I remembered faces but I certainly did not remember names. Our food is always very colorful - includes fresh, salted vegetables, many friuts, soup, fish, cheese, pies (rolls with filling -egg, jam, veggies)coffee, tea and wine for toasting. We also always have a fruit compote drink. On the right in the picture is Natasha, my interpreter.


I originally was to present at one so the session I was in still had a little time. So I showed podcasting (as the presenter in the morning had mentioned it), the Schroeder student's movie of their TV studio and a little bit about Google Docs.


Time to move again. This time we visited the local College Academy of Agricultural Studies. They focus on a number of specialties including ecology, energy resources, information technology, video production and many  others. They also focus on agricultural specific topics. They have an area where they work with animals. The students are in charge of their care. I had a close encounter with a camel.

After a very nice dinner at the academy we were on the way home. It is already midnight and I am not in bed yet!

No comments: