Thursday, March 6, 2008

First Unexpected Adventure

Here we are in Frankfurt - I can see by my computer clock that it is about 1:30 am in Grand Forks. We arrived about 6:30 am and were supposed to be on the 8:30 flight - IT'S CANCELED! We had heard that maybe there was a Lufthansa strike but when we got here it was only our flight. We were immediately booked on a ten-thirty flight and everyone here was very helpful and friendly.
When I opened my blog page the options were all in German - now mind you I had two years in high school and three quarters in college but not much of that has stuck. Luckily, I can remember where the options are.
We should arrive in Moscow about 4:00 and my train leaves at 10:30 this evening. I will be on the train for eight hours - some teachers have to travel 25 hours on the train. When I arrive at six I will be taken to where I stay first and then onto school. The schedule is busy all day with the ballet or opera in the evening, I think my eyelids are going to be a little heavy.
It's a gorgeous day here - sun shining and temperature about 27. I just purchased a 30 day pass on T-Mobile for Internet connection. It will be interesting to see how often I can use it.
A few more tidbits about what to expect. You will be served shots of vodka but it is only polite to drink any of it when someone has proposed a toast. You can take sips and not the whole thing but only when someone gives a toast.
We are called teacher diplomats, representing the United States as part of the State Department. We were very much encouraged to be ourselves. Probably the most important advice was Be Flexible and Maintain a Sense of Humor.
So there was no real panic when the flight was canceled and all seems to be OK. It may be a little more dicey when we all head our separate ways on different trains out of Moscow.

1 comment:

Mary Tingberg said...

Hey, Cindy
I finally found my way to your sight and enjoyed reading about the start of your latest adventure. I think that, if all you need "over there" is flexibility and a sense of humor, you have no worries! Besides, you are a well seasoned world traveller and knew that already. Wishing you the best in the days ahead!!!