Sunday, March 9, 2008

My Posts Didn't Work

I see that the two posts I did on a dial up connection did not post. Well I will try to remember what I said.
We did arrive in Moscow about four hours late and then took a van to the train station. The traffic in Moscow lives up to its name. It took us four hours to drive 35 miles. Believe me the jockeying for position was a major contest. One car's mirror hit the van at one time and the driver just pulled in the mirror.
The train ride was very interesting. You share a little coupe (room) with three other people. I was lucky to share with a nice lady who could speak some English so she helped me and the other two were two young girls. There is no rule against the coupe being coed.
Nina, her husband and Macia ( my interpretor) met me at the train station. We went directly to the flat where I am staying. A quick cleanup and on to school. This school is a math and science school. They have 200 applicants for 75 seats for the Fall. The has 830 students and 65 teachers. The children in the morning put on puppet shows and a talent show to help celebrate the holiday - March 8 International Women's Day and March 9 - the ending of winter celebration ( I don't think the weather cooperates however).


The principal is very proud of the family lineage at the school. Her grand father had been a principal there and many of the teachers have gone there and their children go there as well. On International Women's Day all women are congratulated so I received many cards and flowers ( I think this is a holiday to bring home.)

No comments: